Board Meeting Minutes July 19, 2017

Prince George’s Swimming Pool, Inc.

Board Meeting

MINUTES: July 19, 2017


Present: DJ Nolan, Mary Melchior, Chuck Thies, Andrew Farrington, Abebi Wolfe, Chris Goff, Dennis Alexander, Liz Duffy, Chris Gowen, Meredith Massey

Apologies: Dave McCandlish, Mic Byrne, Colin Strauss Riggs, Stacy Smith, Marvin Russell,




  • Events credit card – approved. Bebi to meet with Marvin

  • Meredith will take pictures for bulletin board – DONE.

  • Parking: Agreement with school for use of parking lot is imminent. Looking to do long-term deal so we don’t run into delays for subsequent years.

  • Food truck guarantee & FAQs – Jen says she has them, need to add them to Ops Manual.

  • Party payment – did it happen? Yes.




Physical Plant

  • Mic’s notes from email:

    • Parking lot design

    • Pumphouse work


  • August memberships update: 39 August memberships signed up, sent to 569. About the same number of last year


  • No one has volunteered to repair umbrella holders. DJ suggests fix of metal holders, so we don’t have to worry about repairing PVC pipes.


  • Poolapalooza: will have food truck, Pizza truck, from 2-8 PM.

  • Tent night: August 19

Levee Update

  • New point of contact with the county. Bids are all in for construction, no plans to look at them, earliest they could start is November, likely won’t start this year. Also, won’t use parking lot as staging/entrance area


New Business

  • Break-in

    • Occurred Monday, July 17. Discovered Tuesday morning. Opening guard does not remember opening second door. ADDITIONALLY: have found beer bottles, cig butts on pool deck, sneaking in over fence. Computers, AED, and fan stolen. Computers purchased for $170/each. Door probably accidentally left unlocked. No definitive theory of events

      Chuck: we should place secure area for computer storage in off-season.

      Also need to look at broader security measures in off-season. Also look at how it affects our insurance costs.

      Suggest we don’t make claim, seeing as how we don’t even cover deductible.

      In interim, we will keep computers in office, not kitchen.

  • Post-season improvements

    • Should prioritize improvements for lost season. Suggestions (not in order):

      • Parking lot

      • Parking/drop-off space in front (to be done in tandem with parking lot)

      • Band shell: not necessarily for bands, another shade structure, needs to be after levee project

        Chuck: we have existing structure – no reason we can’t make that better, and keep to providing shade.

      • Fencing (Member meeting redux – folks want to see the parking lot). We can put a more attractive fence there, will need to do it after levee project

      • Pumphouse

      • Bathrooms (slip-free surfaces)

      • Entrance to ensure security

      • Playground monkey bars

        Parking lot, non-slip floors, and playgrounds should be focus.

  • Swim lessons – interfering with guarding rosters

    • Swim lesson instructors make more money than guards, has created shortages for guards, a few people have pulled 15 hour shifts. Need to discuss with Bruce, either about wages for instructors or prioritizing guarding over lessons.

  • Brightest Lights Competition

    • Lighthouse competition for best staff.

    • General sense of the board is that it’s not a great idea

  • Volleyball tournament

    • Multiple competitions on closing weekend.

      Labor Day volleyball 1-4:30; Belly flop competition 4:45, resume volleyball after contest.

      Ping-pong tournament: will ask Eric about Saturday or Sunday that weekend

  • Non-member swim lesson update

    • Update from Aleja via email. Individual lessons don’t seem to fill need, Aleja suggests group lessons for kids in neighborhood. Aleja can continue doing private lessons through mid-August for neighborhood kids, will look into issue in off-season.

  • Correspondence

    • Band went long in loading out

    • Parking

    • Complaint about waitlist

    • Morning swim: poop in the ladies shower – will have Lighthouse monitor bathrooms

    • Safety drill for rowers: can they use pool off-peak? Should get more information about use of oars, threat to pool liner.


Next Meetings: Aug. 16 & 30, all at 7pm


Future Agenda Items

  • Specific policy on allowing former members to rejoin – post season

  • Community Outreach - postseason

  • Restructuring the Waiting List

  • Closing Early: DJN to clarify policy in Operations Manual

  • Mailing parking permits in 2018 – postseason

  • Long-term plan for music on the grounds – postseason

  • Review guest policies and party policies: 8 guests/day or at a time; 8 guests per member or membership? Wrist bands for guests and parties – postseason

Second shelter?