Prince George’s Swimming Pool, Inc.
MINUTES: May 30, 2013
Present: Mary Melchior, David McCandlish, DJ Nolan, Dave DeRosa, Tanya Renne, Pat Houston, Chuck Thies, Chris Goff, Emily Wurth, Stacy Smith, Andrew Farrington, Colin Strauss-Riggs.
Apologies: Don Stewart.
Absent: Chris Gowen.
The board heard about some miscommunication and snafus on Opening Weekend. The Toddler Pool did not open at all because Lighthouse did not arrange for it to be cleaned following the late inspection, which it passed. The main pool did not open until mid-afternoon due to the cold weather, despite the manager assuring the secretary in a phone conversation that it would be open on time. In addition, the internet did not work due to an overly complicated set-up for the new system, meaning that the few people who were in attendance could not check in. Finally, there was no soda, for those who wanted to purchase them. A less-than-stellar opening, but one that was mitigated by low attendance. Everything was up and running for the second day and subsequently. The Welcoming event was welcoming.
• Offer from Adelphi Pool went out to folks on the waiting list. (IMHO, having read what was sent, I felt that could have done a better sales job with the offer.)
• Rondelli family Fundraiser on June 29 – all set.
• Payment from the apartment complex for the use of the car lot?
• We need some new members.
• Install rain barrels. ($2K) DJN/DavedeR
• Price a 25’x 50’ pavilion for shade (with fans) (PH)
• Lights over the volleyball court.DN
• Splintering an existing membership: Two members divorced, and used to share a membership. She didn’t add him this year as he was in Argentina at the time; just got back last week. He would like his own membership. Agreed
• K wanted to add an entire new family after a divorce several years ago. Denied. The second family was offered and accepted a swim team membership as the children of the divorced couple are on swim team.
• One family thought they were leaving the area and decided not to re-up our membership. Plans changed and they wondered if we would let them back in. (Feeling particularly liberal, we) Agreed
• One family appeared to have “transferred” their membership. The D-G membership no longer has any Ds or Gs. After investigation, we discovered that the current members were members last year. We should change the name on the membership. TR/DJN
• One family has all the same name except for one kid that has a waitlist name. Ignore.
• Replace roof on wading pool pump house
• Lockers – some of the top pieces need to be attached (workday)
• Improve screens on kitchen doors/replace two old outlets on west wall in kitchen/Install a new outlet near fire pit/Repair the shutter in the guardhouse (Brian)
• Paint men’s changing area.
• Replace door on tool shed and install a proper lock on the office. All four locks should have the same key.
• Should we put up a trophy cabinet?
• Fence improvements: Need Metropolitan to come back to finish wire around gate, do the southwest corner, and fix the fence/gates around the swim team area. CT
• Slide is onsite. DMc to arrange water fix.
• A request from Dance Place to use the pool on July 5th 12-4 and August 2nd 12-4 was accepted. The provisos that we have for other camps, including insurance, no use of the toddler pool, and an acceptable number of chaperones will be in place. $200 per visit.
• Parties that are over 35 guests must pay the full guest fee on the date of the party for any gusts over the allowed 35. The first 35 pay $3 each.
• Meeting Dates: We will meet on every second Thursday during the season: 6/26, 7/11 & 25, 8/8 & 22.
• Future Agenda Items:
o We need to develop a procedure for guests staying past toddler swim hours.
o July: Further Loan Repayment
o Snack Bar for 2014
o Children of current members becoming members in their own right
o Some memberships include a parent as a babysitter. We will monitor and reassess this loophole at the end of the season.
o The board will discourage payment by check in the future, probably by imposing a surcharge on such payments.
o Ice cream prices in 2014.
o Adverse Possession
o Co-op Fee Changes? – Removal of co-op fees for those over 70 and for those who are away for the year (Held over to the end-of-season meeting)